After a month and a half of waiting, surgery week is finally here. Thursday around noon I’ll get my throat slit for the third time in six years. Unlike the first go-round under then knife, I opted for putting this one off a bit. After all, that cancer bastard (yes, this is how I now refer to that little fucker…yes, it is a fucker too) has interrupted my life more times than I care to count. This time I wanted to finish up some vacations and travel I had planned. The last month has been a whirlwind, with traveling to Seattle, Austin, and two ski trips to Tahoe. I am lucky enough that my surgeon accommodated my scheduled and didn’t let this little malignant bastard ruin my fun! But alas, nerd spring break, the Rainy City, and infinite runs down Gold Coast have come to an end and it’s time to face the realities of dealing with the pest once more.
One thing I’ve learned from previous surgeries is this – recovering is boring as all get out. Visitors come and go, but most of the time its drugs, sleep, repeat. I only pray that I’m not allergic to the drugs this time around, it does mix things up a bit but not in a good way. Being the planner I am here’s what I’ve got in my hospital bag so far:
- Coloring book & crayons – you won’t be laughing when you have a spectacular picture I’ve colored you while high on Percocet
- Lonely Planet Costa Rica – I’ll attempt to at least highlight this for an upcoming vacation
- InStyle – because being in a hospital gown makes me want to dress fabulously when I reappear into society
- Made to Stick – A business book I doubt I’ll crack
- Silicon scar therapy patches – I’m determined to diminish the scars because I’d prefer to not look like I was attacked by Edward Scissorhands.
Countless hours of TV and movie marathons are on the horizon. I’ll be at the UCSF Mount Zion hospital at least overnight, then back recovering at my family’s house for the following two weeks. Here’s to hoping they get that bastard out once and for all and for a smooth recovery! Visitors welcome.